Ah Ha! The Value Of An Asset Is Better Appreciated When You Lose It

by golbguru on December 10, 2007

This is rather obvious, but not much appreciated in day-to-day life, so I thought of giving it a shout-out.

Over the last couple of months, I have been in the process of eagerly seeking a change in my current graduate student lifestyle. A part of this change, would come in the form of a real-life job in an industry. Those who have been following this blog since the beginning are probably aware of the fact that I have been studying towards my PhD - and wasn’t all too happy about the way things have been going for a long time. Finally, sometime in the last couple of months, I bought an artificial backbone from Dogbert at an enormous price ( ;) ) and that has given me the necessary courage to create my own destiny instead of relying on some general-purpose ignorant idiots. Looking for a job at this juncture is probably going to cost me my PhD degree, but I think I can live in peace even without those three alphabets.

Anyways, after I conveyed my thoughts to my superiors, it has been really interesting to observe a change in their attitude towards me. My time and knowledge of certain things (which were utterly disregarded till this point) have now suddenly become top priorities for some folks. People are now really listening to what I want to say and I am hearing a few good words about the work that I have done so far. [Either that, or it's just like people are obligated to say good things about you when you are gone (cough*eulogy*cough). :)]. All in all, it’s almost exactly opposite of what has been going on so far and it sure feels good - although it’s too late for any amends at this point.

It’s probably human nature to take certain things for granted - till those certain things become hard to come by. This happens to the best of us when it comes to money, character, relationships, and other important assets. Unfortunately, the value of such assets is almost always appreciated only near the breaking point - when you are about to lose an asset, or have just lost it and when it’s too late to regret.

In this spirit, let’s take a moment to recognize and appreciate our hidden assets (whatever they may be) - let’s do it right now … before it’s too late.

Free Money Finance
12.14.07 at 3:20 am
Roundup for week of 9 December 2007: Imminent ice edition at Mighty Bargain Hunter
12.15.07 at 12:58 am
Christmas And Credit - Plus, A Stroll Through My Blogroll
12.15.07 at 3:29 pm
Weekend Personal Finance Links - Giving Congrats Edition
12.15.07 at 4:00 pm
» Roundup: My Fiancee and I Are Starting a Rock Band on Blueprint for Financial Prosperity
12.16.07 at 7:51 am
Weekend Linkage - December 16, 2007 | The Sun’s Financial Diary | A Personal Finance Blog on Saving and Investing
12.16.07 at 8:09 am
01.09.08 at 3:02 am
The Financial Blogger | December Top Ten
01.09.08 at 3:02 am
Recommended Readings for 1/13/08 | Millionaire Money Habits
01.13.08 at 9:05 am

1 Patrick 12.10.07 at 12:44 pm

I know exactly what you mean. We have had quite a few people in our department leave recently and our management has started making it a point to talk to the masses and tell them how much they appreciate us. In fact, the day one of my coworkers submitted his resignation, I received a few nice words from my manager and a statement that he was recommending me for promotion. That sounds good until you realize he told me 2 months prior that I wasn’t ready for a promotion. (I actually was, there was just nowhere for me to go and instead of telling me that, he told me I wasn’t ready. Way to win over your workers!) For that and a dozen other reasons - I’m getting my resume ready.

2 Mrs. Micah 12.10.07 at 4:15 pm

My last bosses were very complimentary when I announced I was leaving. They also tried several times to convince me to stay. It was kind of flattering and made my next few weeks there a bit nicer. I probably would have left anyway, but it was nice to hear.

3 MoneyNing 12.10.07 at 5:24 pm

I was just told today that I’m not a very good salesperson even though I brought in the BIGGEST deal in company history.

Go figure :)

4 Lazy Man 12.10.07 at 10:00 pm

“It’s probably human nature to take certain things for granted” - take out the “probably” and you’d have it right. I was having a very normal day quite a few months ago and it hit me… My normal day is much better than many others. I actually schedule an appointment in my calendar to remind me to think about the good things in my life. I know it sounds crazy and it probably is, but there it is.

5 golbguru 12.11.07 at 2:54 pm

MoneyNing: It’s probably time you let your company know your value! ;)

Lazy: “I actually schedule an appointment in my calendar to remind me to think about the good things in my life.” - That’s interesting, not at all crazy. I am sure it adds perspective to the things we do in day-to-day life.

6 Alex 12.11.07 at 10:51 pm

I was a mechanical engineering phd student at Purdue University and in 2002 I dropped out to move across the country and get a job instead. I am very happy with how that has turned out. I do wish I could tell the ladies I’m a doctor but oh well.

7 fathersez 12.11.07 at 11:06 pm

I agree. A real hidden gem often not appreciated is friendship. A good friend is now in hospital, and the doctors are not having much hope.

The thoughts in my mind are that I could have done a lot more, said a lot more.

I think I shall follow Lazy Man’s plan and schedule a time of the day for appreciation and doing something about it.

8 Stan 12.12.07 at 10:29 am

As many retired folks know, life is not always gereener on the other side of the street. Sites like Aplaceformom.com and Seniorresource.com devote alot of energy helping folks get refocused on life taking early retirement.

9 nku 12.12.07 at 1:15 pm

Somewhere out there is a cartoon hidden on this very internet which depicts differences between Appraisal Review and Exit Interview. Says precisely the same thing. :-)

My friend quit the job on his appraisal review day to see if it was true. His manager was going on and on how bad the guy has been in the past year. Finally the PHB asked him his comments, he said two words, “I quit”. PHB did a complete 360 and started praising him :) He even offered him good rating, raise and opportunity in USA!

* You must know PHB if you know dogbert.
* Complete 360 is a tribute to Jason Kidd.

10 Rose 12.12.07 at 8:24 pm

I have often talked about how almost everyone has a hidden talent. My blog (one of them anyway) is about being able to work from home and so many people think that this is impossible or that there is some great kind of mystery wrapped up in working from home.

I have seem such amazing stories about people who have taken something that they love to do and turn it into a business for themself - and I might add - a very profitable business at that! We should all know that we have potential!

With all the horrible things going on in the world today I have a lot to be thankful and grateful for!

11 Jude 12.15.07 at 10:28 pm

I took for granted that although my car was a piece of junk, it always got me from A to B….until it blew a cylinder in the engine! I took for granted that my car could get me through my senior year of college, but it didn’t- One semester shy!

12 Shamelle@ Enhance Life 12.18.07 at 11:02 pm

Hi,
Very true indeed.
I can also related to what you just mentioned. I was away from my home country, for a period of 3 months. Actually got back about 2 weeks ago.

While I was away, the phone calls I received from my family mentioned that they missied me, every time they called! I had no idea, for when I am at home I don’t even get a “good morning” somedays!

Shamelle

13 JR 12.27.07 at 5:05 pm

A couple of jobs back, I tried resigning 3 times within 6 months.

I got 3 raises in those 6 months before I actually resigned.

14 Abstract Annie 04.03.08 at 3:11 am

It’s the same ol’ story - as the song goes “you don’t know what you got ’til its gone”. Sometimes you’ve just got to walk away to let people realise what they’ve missed. And as for having a resume ready - always do - it will make you feel less trapped and that you’ve got control.
Abstract Annie

15 Spinx Inc. 10.10.12 at 12:44 am

Yeah, this is reality. We don’t even realize that we have something so great in our lives who cares, loves or helps us. But when we lost them, we’d realized how important they were to us and how much we need them to remain happy…

16 outsourcing services 10.22.12 at 1:24 am

I agree. A real hidden gem sometimes not appreciated is friendship. A good friend is now in hospital, and the doctors are not having much hope.

17 typewriter ribbon 10.22.12 at 2:55 am

that is good for you because in present time i am seeing that housing and property is best option for every one. this is a good service provided to human.

18 outsourcing services 10.29.12 at 1:16 am

A good friend is now in hospital, and the doctors are not having much hope.And as for having a resume ready - always do - it will make you feel less trapped and that you’ve got control.

19 test0r0r0 download 04.16.14 at 11:05 am

You’re so interesting! I do not suppose I have read through anything like that before. So nice to find somebody with a few original thoughts on this subject matter. Really.. thanks for starting this up. This site is one thing that is needed on the web, someone with some originality!