Interesting Money Photos From New York City

by golbguru on June 1, 2007

We spent about half a day in New York City during our little vacation getaway last weekend. Like the last time we were in the city, we enjoyed just aimlessly roaming around - observing (and appreciating) landmarks, and people, and food. Trying to capture the soul of this great city in a tiny camera is a futile exercise; however, in the spirit of reliving the experience in future, we did click hundreds of snaps. Here are a few of those photographs that had “$” tags attached to them. [The resolution of the photographs has been reduced and some of them have been cropped to make them more manageable. If you want the original (2592 x 1944 resolution) versions - for any reason - just send me an email.]

• Parking rates: this is the first thing you will notice if you drive into NYC - incredible parking rates. Here is an example - check out the rate for exotic cars - see “Mthly Exotic Cars“:

awesome parking rates

• However, after driving around for a while, we were fortunate enough to find a *cheaper* place a couple of blocks from Times Square (on 44th street):

cheap parking in New York

• Below is another interesting parking option (offered by J&R Music Stores) ~ although not very feasible ~ it would probably take you more than two hours to just walk around the whole store:

parking at J&R stores

• Fine for honking. If I were to collect $350 for every honking incident that I came across while I was in NYC, I wouldn’t be far from being a millionaire. ;)

fine for honking

• Fine for idling. This is the first time I saw something like this. Man… $2000 sounds really steep:

fine for engine idling

• This is how we got around the city ~ the $7 “1-Day Fun Pass” that gives unlimited rides in the metro (glossy screen is not a good photographic subject):

best way to travel in New York

• Taxi fare ~ sounds pretty reasonable. May be you can even call it *cheap* if you consider the traffic that these guys drive in.

taxi fare in New York

• Buffet-by-the-pound. Nice way to limit buffet-hogging :) This is also a first-timer for me.

buffet by weight

• The city is not always expensive ~ here are a couple of snaps to that effect. There are a lot of roadside, open-air, vendors who sell “cheap” stuff for cheap.

hats and t-shirts

$10 watches

• The city is not always cheap either. Here is a $333,000+ Rolls-Royce Phantom (6.7L, 12 cylinder) waiting outside a hotel near Central Park.

rolls-royce phantom

• The richness is beautifully complemented by the National Debt Clock hung outside the IRS building:

national debt clock in New York

• I walked a few steps and just couldn’t take my eyes off the debt clock - here are the updated numbers after a few steps (seconds later) - looks like somebody got a car loan in that time :) :

national debt clock after a few steps

• Fortunately, for those who are in debt, and/or those who drive Rolls-Royce (and certain other people who own the Trump Building, etc.), the US Bankruptcy Court is not very far away (a few yards from the famous “Wall Street Bull” statue).

US Bankruptcy Court

So there…just a small part of The Big Apple in a nutshell for ya. :)

Thoughts From Around the Blogosphere
06.02.07 at 8:06 am
The Sunday Review #23: What Is Wrong With These Photographs?
06.03.07 at 2:02 am
Posts I Enjoyed Last Week | The Sun’s Financial Diary | A Personal Finance Blog on Saving and Investing
06.03.07 at 5:17 am
Will You Change Your Oil As Often As Recommended? My Weekend Roundup » Silicon Valley Blog About Money
06.03.07 at 6:19 am
Roundup for week of 27 May 2007 at Mighty Bargain Hunter
06.03.07 at 2:39 pm
25 Things We Do To Save Money
06.18.07 at 6:20 am
Money Links For 09-13-07
09.13.07 at 4:10 am
New Orleans - The Big Easy Still Rocks
11.27.07 at 6:30 am
New Orleans - The Big Easy Still Rocks | Ganja Chicken
01.22.08 at 8:03 am

1 Sun 06.01.07 at 9:10 am

I sure didn’t get these pictures. Were you actually trying to get pictures like these?

2 golbguru 06.01.07 at 9:56 am

No..I just clicked them as we passed by things. The camera was handy, so whatever was even mildly amusing was captured. I could just roam around Times Square for two days and still won’t have enough pictures. You can say I am “click-happy”. :)

3 Dave 06.01.07 at 10:17 am

I noticed that when I was in NY last year. Same here in London. In fact, I went to a cricket match recently and a guy ran onto the field - max fine for that is ten thousand pounds. (And if you’re naked, you get the bonus of going onto a sex offender’s register!)

4 Leadhyena 06.01.07 at 12:33 pm

I’ve seen that $350 honking sign. It was on one of the busier intersections in lower Manhattan (16th and Union Square W). How in the hell do they think that this is enforcable? I watched for a couple of minutes and saw at least 6 infractions of this rule in that time. Here it is btw: click for link to google maps.
(you can’t see it very well due to the low resolution on the Google Street View)

5 Q at $1 Million to My Name 06.01.07 at 12:56 pm

I love the pics. NYC is the best. Thanks for sharing them

6 MyOwnMillions 06.01.07 at 10:07 pm

Very nice article. I’ve been to NYC once a couple of years ago and I loved the city. The living expense is a little too expense though but I just love the urban lifestyle! The photos definitely bring back memories.

7 Sharon 06.02.07 at 7:03 am

I used to visit New York all the time, and thank god for the horrendous parking fees, New Yorkers don’t try to drive as much…..

Now that would be a real nightmare :)

8 Wolf Stone 06.02.07 at 6:06 pm

i didnt know i could buy a watch, a hat and a t shirt all for under $20 bucks in NY..that seems pretty cheap especially considering MY dollar is now worth 0.96 cents to the U.S. dollar. …Nice Pics…

9 Wolf Stone 06.02.07 at 6:07 pm

Correction(TYPO): My dollar is now worth 0.94 cents to the U.S. dollar !!

10 Super Saver 06.02.07 at 6:47 pm

Golbguru,

Great pictures. Looks like you are having a great off the beaten path vacation.

For me, NYC is a great place to visit, but I could not affort to live there. A friend once told me his college roommate had get a mortgage to buy his parking space in a NYC condo complex.

11 MoneyNing 06.02.07 at 9:34 pm

I love NYC. These pictures bring back some of the memories.

I wish they don’t charge for every single thing over there though :)

12 mbhunter 06.03.07 at 2:27 pm

That debt clock is pretty accurate! Looks like they’re assuming a family of four.

Here’s another debt clock:

13 Blain Reinkensmeyer 06.06.07 at 6:44 pm

This is great stuff Golb!! I have never been to New York City but very insightful photos, lol. I’ll take a 1-day funpass please…

14 shoqy 03.15.08 at 4:24 am

I recently travelled to New York - A great place to visit and not to dissimilar to London. Visited all the sites and did my fair share of shopping too!!
I have put together a website dedicated to travel (as well as other topics like shopping, cars and finance). I have got some really useful tips on there on everything from saving money abroad to the best locations to shop. This has been done for many different cities around the world including New York.

Please visit:

15 Office warehouse 08.01.12 at 9:12 am

this is why this city is so succesfull, they get money from everyone, local, vistiors etc.

16 Variac 09.03.13 at 1:07 am

Thank you for this information, it was very helpful. Excellent the 5 steps to take a taxi and in a city as cosmopolitan as New York.

17 SexGangsters Money and Gold Hack 10.08.14 at 2:58 am

Magnificent items from you, man. I have keep in mind your stuff prior to and
you’re simply too great. I actually like what you have received here,
certainly like what you are saying and the way wherein you are saying it.
You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it wise.
I cant wait to learn far more from you. That is actually a terrific website.