Right Turns And Other Simple Tips To Save Money And Environment

by golbguru on April 4, 2007

In the recent issue of TIME magazine, there is an interesting article by the title 51 Things We Can Do. Among the list are some sensible (and worth-a-try) things that will not only make Al Gore happy, but also help you save some money in the long run. What amused me the most was tip #45: Make One Right Turn After Another; here is an excerpt:

In 2004, UPS announced that its drivers would avoid making left turns. The time spent idling while waiting to turn against oncoming traffic burns fuel and costs millions each year.

In metro New York, UPS has reduced CO2 emissions by 1,000 metric tons since January. Today 83% of UPS facilities are heading in the right direction; within two years, the policy will be adopted nationwide.

If you have difficulty in visualizing it, here is a graphic (MS Office clip art rocks) that might be worth a thought:

right turns and left turns

The image compares two overly-simplified (for the purpose of comparison) ways of making a to and fro journey. In both cases you travel the same distance, but in all probability, choosing the route with all left turns will take more time (unless you are lucky enough to catch protected left green signals at all three intersections).

Huh?…but how’s one vehicle making right turns going to help?

Towards that, here is a bit of insight into why UPS is trying this out (source):

“It seems small, but when you multiply it across 88,0000 vehicles making nearly 15 million deliveries every day during the course of a year, it adds up.”

If 88,000 vehicles making more right turns mean millions of dollars for UPS, it will certainly mean something significant for the US as a whole with about 240,000,000+ vehicles.

Obviously, right turns are nice only in US (and other right-hand traffic countries); similar logic applies to left turns in UK, Japan, and other left-hand traffic countries.

Other handy tips

The TIME article mentions other common sense tips that are worth trying. Some of these tips must have been repeated a million times on different blogs and websites, but TIME’s interesting numbers adds a better perspective from the point of view of motivating people towards applying these tips. Not all of the 51 things mentioned in the article can be easily implemented by the common man, but here are some that most of us can try without drastically altering our lifestyle:

• Give up those incandescent (filament) light bulbs.

CFLs cost three to five times as much as conventional incandescent bulbs yet use one-quarter the electricity and last several years longer.

say no to incandescent bulbsIf you are worried about whether it makes economical sense to buy the expensive compact fluorescent (CF) bulbs, read this: Save Money On Light Bulbs. With some reasonable assumptions, CF bulbs will actually save you money in the long run. By the way, a similar logic also applies to appliances. Compare appliances based on their power consumption (look for kWh or kilowatt-hour ratings), and extend the comparison over a few years down the line. Power efficient appliances may be expensive at first glance, but may turn out to be cheaper when it comes to operational costs. Also, the rule of thumb is: less power consumption = more environmentally friendly.

• Some tips for every household.

Open a window instead of running the AC. Adjust the thermostat a couple of degrees higher in the summer and lower in the winter. Caulk and weatherstrip all your doors and windows. Insulate your walls and ceilings. Use the dishwasher only when it’s full. Install low-flow showerheads. Wash your clothes in warm or cold water. Turn down the thermostat on the water heater. At the end of the year, don’t be surprised if your house feels lighter. It just lost 4,000 lbs. of carbon dioxide.

tips for homeForget about the 4,000 lbs of CO2 for a while…you will save a ton of money by implementing these tips. So if you are not so much of a *green-person*, at least try it for the sake of money. And if you don’t care about the savings, think about how much you can contribute towards the environment by reducing 4,000 lbs of CO2.

• Insulate your water heater

Wrapping your heater in an insulated blanket—one costs about $10 to $20 at home centers—could save your household about 250 lbs. in CO2 emissions annually. Most water heaters more than five years old are constantly losing heat and wasting energy because they lack internal insulation. If the surface feels warm to the touch, get your heater an extra blankie. You’ll both feel better.

water heater tipThis is something I have never thought about…and due to my procrastinating tendency, this will take me some time to implement…but it sounds like a sensible thing to do, so go ahead and try it.

• Switch off your computers, lights, and other electronic equipment when not in use.

According to the U.S. Department of Energy, 75% of all the electricity consumed in the home is standby power used to keep electronics running when those TVs, DVRs, computers, monitors and stereos are “off.” The average desktop computer, not including the monitor, consumes from 60 to 250 watts a day. Compared with a machine left on 24/7, a computer that is in use four hours a day and turned off the rest of the time would save you about $70 a year. The carbon impact would be even greater. Shutting it off would reduce the machine’s CO2 emissions 83%, to just 63 kg a year.

switch off computersI see this happening day in and day out. I don’t think anyone in my entire building switches of their computers before leaving for the day. There must be more than a 1000 computers in here. Recently, after the university started adding an *energy surcharge* in our tuition bills, some people have started switching off the lights…but only about 25% of the people are doing it.

• Check tire pressure regularly and get your car tuned-up periodically.

If you can boost your gas mileage from 20 to 24 m.p.g., your old heap will put 200 fewer pounds of CO2 into the atmosphere each year.

check tire pressureTire pressure gages costs about a dollar in most stores, air is free at most gas stations, and it doesn’t take more than five minutes to check your tire pressure. I think procrastination is the only barrier here. Drive sensibly; speeding eats up a lot of gas and is not very efficient. Better mileage = more savings, reducing 200 lbs of CO2 = cleaner conscience. :)

• Manage and pay your bills online.

If every U.S. home viewed and paid its bills online, the switch would cut solid waste by 1.6 billion tons a year and curb greenhouse-gas emissions by 2.1 million tons a year, according to Javelin Strategy & Research.

pay your bills onlineApart from the environmental concerns, there is also an organizational factor associated with this. With online transactions, you don’t need to sort important pieces of mail from a ton of junk ones, or worry about shredding paper statements, or worry about USPS not delivering your payment check on time…all small things, but with major *headache* potential. This also saves a small amount of money on postage stamps.

• Say no to plastic grocery bags and yes to cloth or paper bags (this one won’t save you money..but it’s worth doing it for the environment).

Every year, more than 500 billion plastic bags are distributed, and less than 3% of those bags are recycled. They are typically made of polyethylene and can take up to 1,000 years to biodegrade in landfills that emit harmful greenhouse gases. Reducing your contribution to plastic-bag pollution is as simple as using a cloth bag (or one made of biodegradable plant-based materials) instead of wasting plastic ones.

say no to plasticJust saying “I use recyclable plastic bags” is not enough. Even recycling plants take up a lot of energy. Therefore, it makes sense to reuse them as much as possible before recycling. Thin plastic bags won’t last long when you start reusing them…that’s where reusable cloth and paper bags (paper bags made from recycled paper) come into picture. Try them, they are not expensive at all.

• Live a sensible life.

Live simply. Meditate. Consume less. Think more. Get to know your neighbors. Borrow when you need to and lend when asked.

think moreThis is tip #51 in the list…sounds exceedingly simple and yet it’s the most difficult thing to act on. I would modify the words “consume less” to “consume sensibly”. Live your life well…but live it sensibly. Hey! wait a minute, it says…”Think more”? But, aren’t we Americans? ;)

Around the PF Blogosphere: March 4, 2007 - The Sun’s Financial Diary - Accumulating wealth is like building The Great Wall, one brick at a time
04.04.07 at 5:54 pm
Finance Findings For Thursday, April 5, 2007
04.05.07 at 4:02 am
The Simple Dollar » The Simple Dollar Morning Roundup: Easter Weekend Edition
04.06.07 at 5:31 am
Money Articles and Personal Finance Picks: “I Want To Get A Promotion” » Silicon Valley Blog About Money
04.07.07 at 1:19 pm
The Festival of Frugality #69, “Save All Week Long” Edition » Silicon Valley Blog About Money
04.10.07 at 6:36 am
Finding The Very Best Parking Spot
04.10.07 at 7:39 am
Call For Some Subscription Love
04.13.07 at 11:46 am
The Sunday Review #17: Earth Day Edition
04.22.07 at 4:15 am
Poorer Than You » No Gas Day: Good Intentions, Horrible Idea, Worse Follow-Through
04.27.07 at 1:50 pm
Blog Action Day: State Of The Nation
10.15.07 at 5:30 am

1 Blain Reinkensmeyer 04.04.07 at 10:38 am

Golb, this is great info man. I never even thought about some of this stuff. The right turns only for example makes a lot of sense. I am one of those “open the windows instead of run AC” kind of people!

2 Blain Reinkensmeyer 04.04.07 at 10:39 am

Not 2 mention a big “save the world” kind of person, I wonder how much energy is saved by recycling, probably something ridiculous…

3 Jeremy 04.04.07 at 10:54 am

Interesting. I almost always plan my trips around town to make as few left turns as possible but never thought about the cost savings.

I simply do it out of convenience. I hate sitting at a busy street without a light waiting to make a left turn across traffic, it drives me nuts. It is even worse when you are behind someone who needs about a half mile gap between cars to pull out. That is frustrating, so I just plan to make right turns.

Good to know that by doing that I could be saving money, even if it is only pennies. The decreased blood pressure alone is enough of a reward.

4 golbguru 04.04.07 at 1:23 pm

Blain: I must have read some/part of this info before, but this is the first time I was *conscious* about the facts. So this time I might act on them. I have tried driving without AC, but in this part of the country there are only a few days you can go without your car AC. :)

Jeremy: I hear ya; I have chosen a few right turns in the past…but the money factor never came to my mind. The UPS story kind felt interesting…and hence the motivation for the post.

5 dimes 04.04.07 at 7:28 pm

You have to make right turns around here because the traffic is so bad you will NEVER be able to turn left.

And just for kicks, tell me how long it would take for me to exhale 4000 lbs of carbon dioxide, or 200 lbs, or whatever else is cited in this article. If I could nullify the effect of my car’s efficiency in ten aerobic workouts, it doesn’t seem worth the hassle, does it?

6 invincible 04.04.07 at 8:26 pm

I simply hate waiting at green light to make left turn. In my locality you have very few hard green (left arrow) lights and almost always u have to ‘yield’ on green to make a left turn.
During peak hrs it becomes almost impossible to yield n take left so u end up waiting for a yellow or sometimes even red.

Back home, we have traffic lights which display a countdown on digital clock so u can turn off ur engine and save gas. Not seen that here, may be mostly due to sensor operated lights.

Even for a right turn, u have to STOP if it’s red and only then proceed. So you need to kill all ur engine power and start from lowest gear. But it helps on green and thank God for that !!

7 invincible 04.04.07 at 8:39 pm

I had this strange feeling of actually calculating how much u save preventively.
e.g. Filling gas from a cheaper gas station.
Buying groceries from Walmart (or similar) instead of Giant (or anyother convenience store).
Saving power by switching off (or hibernating) ur laptop.
Saving gas (& mileage) by working from home
(but u waste more electricity etc).
Car pooling (this is very efficient as long as everyone is cooperative and contributing, else we have ppl here who wd leech on you for free rides). Incidentally it is very environ friendly.
Switching off unnecessary lamps/tube lights.
Switching off TV while cooking/talking on phone.
I’vent seen anyone turning off the engine at traffic lights although many times u know u have to wait for almost a minute.
Some ppl quip that the fuel injection is microchip controlled, so it doesn’t suck excessive fuel while idling (i disagree) and the re-ignition takes in more fuel (which i strongly disagree).
If u hv any data on this, can you update me?

8 plonkee 04.05.07 at 3:30 am

I’m researching a new fridge purchase, and I’ve found that the energy efficient ones are no more expensive than non-efficient ones. I had a similar experience when I last bought a washing machine.

9 golbguru 04.05.07 at 9:28 am

Dimes: Are you looking for excuses to stop exercising? ;)

Here are your numbers (source Wikipedia)

According to a study by the USDA,[3] an average person’s respiration generates approximately 450 liters (roughly 900 grams) of carbon dioxide per day.

An hour of rigorous exercise will make you breathe faster and will increase that to say 1134 grams (or 2.5 pounds) per day. At that rate it’s just 80 days to generate 200 pounds of CO2. :) ..May be you could try not breathing at all or something.

If you just consider CO2 for your aerobic workouts…that should come to about 0.5 pounds a day. At that rate it will take about 400 days to nullify your car’s efficiency. So go ahead and love those workouts without guilt. :)

10 golbguru 04.05.07 at 9:37 am

Invincible: I love those countdown signals…and often wonder why they are not popular in US.

As for stopping at red lights…I think you are on the right track. Here is something that will encourage your thoughts:

Canadians are Becoming Idle-Free!

And on this blog:

Americans, however, have their thinking stuck in the 1950s, when it really did use a lot of gas to kick a carburetor into life. Nowadays, though, all cars are made with fuel injection, and starting a warm engine is nothing. Ask your mechanic, and they’ll shrug. Starting and stopping more often will wear on your starter, but the money you’ll save on gas will help you replace it a few months sooner, and the emissions you save will make a big difference.

Plonkee: Glad to hear that. I hope people realize it fast and clear themselves of the misconception that all green things are expensive.

11 saving advice 04.06.07 at 3:33 am

Does this apply to me Japan where we drive on the opposite side of the road? ;)

12 The Digerati Life 04.07.07 at 10:12 am

Looks like I’ll need to use another article for my weekly roundup now that this is going to be in the Fof! :D Definitely a very intriguing post!

13 Best CD Rates 04.09.07 at 2:11 am

i hate waiting at the stoplight, so i usually try to avoid right turns as much as possible, anyway

14 David 04.09.07 at 9:09 am

Even better than wrapping your water heater is replacing it with a tankless water heater when your old one finally self-destructs (all water heaters eventually corrode and leak — it’s constantly holding water, there ain’t no getting around it). It heats the water on the fly which saves energy and it also means you’ll never run out of hot water!

15 frugal zeitgeist 04.10.07 at 3:18 pm

Wow. Very, very cool. Thanks for sharing.

16 lou, NJ 11.12.07 at 3:26 pm

Great suggestions!
I installed the flourescent spotlights and they are great. They use 25W instead of 100W however they take about 7 minutes to get to full brightness which is a pain when someone comes to the door or i have to put out the garbage.
Also i dont worry too much about interior lighting in the winter since the heat loss in the lamp goes toward heating. The house is a closed system and the house uses the heat from the lights, refrigerator, TV, computer etc. In reality it replaces the heat from my oil system. pay either way!! In the summer (if you have a/c) lighting works against you.

17 Ellen S. 05.09.10 at 5:38 am

The concept of “saving money” is easier said than done for most people. I understand that it is ‘easy and logical’ for some people, but I also understand it can be a difficult habit to break for others.

If you’re looking to save money or change your lifestyle, my advice is to take it in “baby-steps” because it won’t happen overnight. Here are some tips that helped me out.

1. Always pay more than the minimum on any credit card payments – if you don’t believe me you can calculate it for yourself (http://www.csgnetwork.com/creditcardmincalc.html)
2. Use coupons when grocery shopping
3. Try online shopping – it’s saves on gas & they have bigger markdowns (http://www.shoptivity.com)
4. Read a book – it’s cheaper than going to a movie (http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/)
5. Know your budget! (https://www.dl.ed.gov/borrower/BudgetCalculator.do)

Good luck and happy savings!

18 example 06.25.12 at 5:30 pm

As you move recent temperature will make it infamously more challenging pertaining to aircraft to show an
even gain, a lot more tough uphill struggle is without a
doubt how to identify independently on the high-end
of your internet business. Plenty of top class cabins right now are available ordinary along
with twee fringe benefits just like racket command headphones, vainness solutions, pyjamas, on-demand enjoyment,
tool on the internet along with Wi-Fi.
The following, apparently, is just not sufficient to help you
placate the best urbane people. Individuals who are able to afford it may today take pleasure in cocoon
from the night confidential enclosures, caffeine night clubs,
showers, individual chefs as well as sommeliers.
Greet to some fresh era involving air travel.
Achievable, come across fifteen of the most useful high grade airline
carriers, together with the price of a good round-trip fare (June 2012 fees in AUD) within the carrier’s centre into a big destination.

19 Mazury o?rodek 07.27.12 at 5:33 am

I’ve been browsing online more than 2 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me. In my view, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content as you did, the web will be much more useful than ever before.|
I could not resist commenting. Very well written!|
Conventional hotel is found in the business, visitor in addition to emotional precinct of Poland’s money, at the intersection connected with it’s most important pavements:. It happens to be nearby the popular Construction connected with Civilization and additionally Scientific discipline, the key firms, bankers plus the browsing centre. These are especially services to make a person’s reserve Warsaw when pleasant as you can, can be gathered community. Practical hitting the ground with typically the international airport, located 10 kilometers from your accommodation; additionally, the Middle Railway Stop is due to a fabulous 0. 5-kilometre yardage.

20 Góry Kaczawskie noclegi 07.27.12 at 5:45 am

I’ve been surfing online more than 4 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all website owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be much more useful than ever before.|
I could not resist commenting. Perfectly written!|
Hotel can be found in the business, holiday and even cultural precinct for Poland’s financing, within the intersection involving the nation’s principal roads:. It is actually nearby the prominent Construction regarding Tradition and even Practice, the main establishments, mortgage lenders as well as searching middle. All those are common businesses to generate ones own remain Warsaw when fulfilling as you possibly can, can be formed regional. Suitable reference to all the airport terminal, found 10 kilometre through the hotel; plus the Important Railway Train station is within your 0. 5-kilometre extended distance.

21 Wedding Dresses Shops Ireland 08.15.12 at 11:01 pm

Thanx for giving your valuable comment on this topic.

22 hotele 08.16.12 at 9:18 am

I have been browsing online more than three hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours.
It is pretty worth enough for me. In my view, if all web owners
and bloggers made good content as you did, the web will be a lot
more useful than ever before.|
I couldn’t refrain from commenting. Perfectly written!|
Accommodation is found available, vacationer as well as personal precinct for Poland’s funds, inside the intersection of a essential road:. It truly is outside of the renowned Building about Society and additionally Science, the most crucial organizations, bankers plus the searching center. Individuals are common establishments to help with making ones own live in Warsaw because pleasurable as is feasible, are actually got close by. Useful hitting the ground with any international airport, situated 10 km within the conventional hotel; as well as the Foremost Railway Station is a good 0. 5-kilometre yardage.

23 najnowsze informacje 09.26.12 at 2:38 am

While the ongoing environment causes it to be infamously more and more difficult regarding aircraft to show a standardized
profit, the harder hard uphill combat is easy methods to distinguish them selves over
the high-end on the business enterprise. A good many first
class cabins at this moment take place traditional by using twee fringe
benefits such as music control headphones, vanity systems,
pyjamas, on-demand fun, gadget on the web connectivity plus Wi-Fi.

This specific, surprisingly, just isn’t enough to help placate quite possibly the most urbane guests. People who have enough money for it might these days be a part of cocoon with the air non-public enclosures, coffee discos, showers, personal chefs along with sommeliers. Encouraged to your brand new times in airline travel.
Achievable, locate eight of the finest excellent flight companies, with the price tag on some sort of round-trip ticket (June 2012 fees in AUD) on the carrier’s center into a big location.

24 Cancun Mexico 10.18.12 at 7:13 am

Awesome tips I do most of them but I will have to look at the complete list. And I didn’t know about the right turn thing, makes sense though.

25 m88 asia 07.22.14 at 4:15 am

Hello there, There’s no dougt that your blog could
be having internet browser compatibility problems. When I take a look at your website in Safari, it looks fine but when opehing in IE, it has
some overlapping issues. I simply wanted to give you a quick heads up!
Aside from that, fantastic website!

Feel free to surf to my web page m88 asia

26 where can i buy colic calm in johannesburg 08.02.14 at 9:51 am

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I’ve truly enjoyed surfing around your blog
posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again very soon!

Here is my web-site; where can i buy colic calm in johannesburg

27 cna classes in ct 2013 08.04.14 at 2:13 pm

Heya! I realize this is sort of off-topic however I needed to ask.
Does building a well-established website like yours take a lot of work?
I’m completely new to operating a blog but I do write in my diary daily.
I’d like to start a blog so I can share my personal experience and feelings online.
Please let me know if you have any ideas or tips for brand new
aspiring bloggers. Appreciate it!

28 girlfriend activation system review 08.16.14 at 12:29 am

This design is wicked! You definitely know how to keep a
reader amused. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost…HaHa!)
Great job. I really loved what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it.
Too cool!

My blog; girlfriend activation system review

29 BE RICH WHATEVER THE CURRENCY 09.17.14 at 8:28 pm

Your style is very unique in comparison to other folks I have read
stuff from. Thank you for posting when you have the opportunity,
Guess I’ll just bookmark this page.