Free Money: Got 10 Crisp Dollar Bills In My Mailbox

by golbguru on January 22, 2007

Some time back, we received a phone call from a representative of a company called “Arbitron” regarding a radio rating survey. Usually, we dismiss all such calls with a curt “sorry, not interested” reply and the story ends right there. However, this guy was a smooth talker and quickly mentioned that the company will send some small gifts if we could complete a survey and send it back to them. We agreed, after making that guy hold for about 3-4 minutes, and after me and my wife exchanged some quick thoughts over the matter.

A week later, we got a couple of fancy envelope-sized boxes with the survey material. We were expecting something like coupons to a coffee shop/retail store (earlier, the guy on the phone said “something like cafe coupons”) and we were also expecting that they will send the gifts after we completed the survey and mailed it back to them. To our amazement, each of the fancy boxes contained three crisp $1 bills. Felt good; may be because I have never received any cash through mail before (in fact, I wasn’t sure people could send cash through mail). Anyways, $6 was good. :)

arbitron

The story didn’t end there. In the next few days, we received a couple of “reminders” from the company, with a dollar bill in each. This was followed a few days latter with a couple of thank you letters, again each with a dollar bill. All this even before we sent in the completed surveys. Felt like someone was bribing us :)

Btw, $10 in cash almost takes care of our entire month’s cash expense. Seems like Arbitron’s money will pay for our laundry this month. :)

Interesting Ways Of Folding Dollar Bills » Money, Matter, and More Musings
02.27.07 at 11:09 pm
Do You Mistrust Free Stuff? at Money, Matter, and More Musings
03.29.07 at 12:49 pm
The Simple Dollar Morning Roundup: Smashing The Block Edition - The Simple Dollar
08.01.14 at 6:40 am

1 3 Things About Money 01.22.07 at 9:43 am

Ah, they are smart behavioral scientists! Studies have shown that if you send actual cash to people ahead of time and with reinforcers, that most people will fill the form and send it back, because getting cash is like being paid. People are much more likely to pocket a coupon and not do the survey. Interesting though, most survey people don’t have the nerve to do it.

2 Msminiducky 01.22.07 at 10:10 am

I didn’t know this was an actual behavioral thing. I thought I was just being trained to send back the survey so they continue to send me a nice crisp dollar bill every year. Toyota does this every so often.

3 HC 01.22.07 at 10:48 am

That’s the bright side of Arbitron.

And this is the dark side.

4 jersey jen 01.22.07 at 8:55 pm

sweet!

5 golbguru 01.23.07 at 12:27 am

3 Things About Money: You are right about the behavior thing. It certainly made us fill out the surveys. I doubt we would have done it if it were not for the cash they sent us :). Also, it gives some sort of a “guilty feeling” in sense…”dude..they are being so nice with the cash and all…we should send the survey back”.

Msminiducky: That Toyota thing is news :)..I wonder how many other companies employ this tactic…and I wonder why no one except Arbitron send me cash :)
HC: Thanks for the link..it was a pretty long article, but I see your point. However, it doesn’t sound as bad as they potray it. In the end, they are taking feedback from the listeners itself…the whole purpose of which is to retain listeners.

If, because of such studies, radio starts to sound weird, radio stations will start loosing listeners instead of retaining them…which sort of defeats the whole purpose of the studies…so in all probability I don’t think that will happen (soon).

jersey jen: yep, sweet :)

6 HC 01.23.07 at 6:17 am

Actually, between iPods, satellite radio, and the continued refining of “target demographics”, radio stations ARE losing listeners.

If it didn’t cost so much money, I would be all over satellite radio. I like deeper playlists and fewer commercials.

7 Golbguru 01.23.07 at 8:44 am

HC: You are really passionate about your radio :)..I read the article you linked twice yesterday, I think I beginning to understand it now. May these guys are squeezing the fun out of it by making it too “fit-to-taste”.

8 Annie 02.23.07 at 6:34 pm

How can I get those crisp dollars for doing surveys?

9 golbguru 02.24.07 at 12:23 am

Annie: I got these without doing any efforts on my part…so I guess they were sending the money out randomly.
However, if you are interested in doing surveys for money, check out these websites:
Survey Spot, Pinecone, or Greenfield.
Hope that helps.

10 oneil buchanan 01.09.08 at 9:15 am

How can I get those crisp dollars for doing surveys

11 Joshua 10.29.08 at 9:44 pm

Hi my name is Joshua, I am a 19 year old college student and I need help on my rent bad I dont know where else to turn but if you can help me I will take anything that you can send anything so if you can give please please do you can reach me at monn69@yahoo.com please contact me A.S.A.P!

12 Terry 12.02.08 at 7:52 am

Hey I’m a husband with a wife and three kids i’m out of work i have a $700.00 gas bill pending shutoff my rent is $750.00 it’s due now this is my first time doing something like this but i don’t know what to do at this point.So if any can help please help please i can contacted at browntchicago@hot.com so please help A.S.A.P Thank You

13 ahsley 03.12.09 at 5:35 pm

got about 50$ cash from them so far love it

14 shaquilla 03.21.09 at 2:08 pm

hi my name is shaquilla and im a wife with three kids and i got a 100,000 water bill and i need to pay be for it get cut off so i need some money fast please contact me at shaquillabr11@yahoo.com a.s.s.p

15 Donise 05.10.09 at 12:27 pm

Hi, My name is Donise we have more money going out on bills than coming in for bills. If Anyone can help us get out of some debt with this recession and everybody sucking us dry we are struggling. And we need to send our daughter to college this August. Help us Please. We are so stressed over all this debt that fell upon us. Can anyone spare us about 80,000?

16 monica 07.04.12 at 4:51 am

hi my name is monica im a single parent of three i am employed seems like the more i try i run into an problem i have several bills i need to handle i just dont kow wherei can get the money from if any body can help me plase i only work three days a week they cut my hours and wit kno help its starting to take a big toll on me someone plase contact me on this matter god bless and thank you.

17 jasmin 08.08.12 at 3:16 pm

hello.. can someone tell me how can i join this ..Arbitron

18 shannon 02.17.13 at 2:38 pm

I need help on getting money my rent is pass due and i have to pay my phone bill to talk to my kids

19 youtube.com 04.09.13 at 7:48 pm

Hello colleagues, its great piece of writing about educationand
fully defined, keep it up all the time.

20 how to make money online fast 05.08.13 at 6:17 am

If you wish for to grow your know-how only keep visiting
this web site and be updated with the most up-to-date information posted here.

21 clash of clans hack 07.09.13 at 11:29 am

Muhammad forgave all of the Meccans for the crimes that they had
committed against the Muslims, which was revolutionary for that place and time, the norm would have been revenge.
Those who learn multiple disciplines, and
do each of them well. “Those who hate me for no reason outnumber the hairs on my head.

22 winrar remove password 07.17.13 at 11:44 am

Clam - Win is pretty good antivirus software, and the portable version is no different.
If you do not want to pay for the services of a professional to recover your data after you have accidentally formatted your hard drive, then using this software is a wise decision to make.
It takes minutes to learn how to delete search web content, computer files
of no use and temporary files and folders.

23 how to unlock winrar password 07.21.13 at 5:54 am

As mentioned earlier, if you have accidentally formatted your drive and lost important files
because of this, the first thing that should be
done is to rescue the files using the finest recovery software.
If the device is fairly new, you can also take it back to the store if it is still under warranty.
Possessing difficulty putting in a piece of application
on your system is discouraging.

24 free ebook 07.24.13 at 12:42 am

If you wish for to get a good deal from this piece of writing then
you have to apply these techniques to your won weblog.

25 get cheap how many hits do you need to make money on youtube online 07.26.13 at 4:40 pm

Hey there would you mind letting me know which webhost you’re working with? I’ve loaded your blog in
3 completely different internet browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot faster then most.
Can you suggest a good hosting provider at a reasonable price?
Thanks a lot, I appreciate it!

26 Epiphany 08.31.13 at 6:00 pm

Hi, my name is Epiphany. I am a single 15 year old parent in need of money. Im not old enough to get a job so this is my last option. I need help taking care of some finacial problems dealing with my child, but without money, i cant do it. Please,please,please help me so i can keep food in my baby’s stomach

27 JOHN WARR 10.14.13 at 4:06 pm

need people to send me money in the mail 2235 5th ave ny ny 10037 apt#2b

28 Mailbox Money 12.23.13 at 6:02 pm

Thanks for your information. I am also searching for this kind of
site like “Mailbox Money” and finally I got it with a great
post .Building a online marketing business is easy if you know the
right tools combined with the right vehicle. Lead generation by
attraction marketing.

For more information about “Mailbox Money”please visit :

29 Mariana 01.09.14 at 7:59 pm

Heya i’m for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It really useful & it
helped me out a lot. I hope to give something back and
aid others like you helped me.

30 Mailbox Money 01.15.14 at 2:29 am

Thanks for your information. I am also searching for this kind of
site like “Mailbox Money” and finally I got it with a great
post.Building a online marketing business is easy if you know the
right tools combined with the right vehicle. Lead generation by
attraction marketing.

For more information about “Mailbox Money”please visit :

31 Earn Fast $ Easy 01.20.14 at 4:59 am

Lovely post, Thank You!

1 Hour online = $100+ daily
Download the Easy Guide FREE

32 Robert Hurst 01.21.14 at 6:38 am

Dear sirs: Iam very interested in participating in your survey radio rating program…Do contact me (asap) about serving…(Thanks)

33 Roome 04.19.14 at 1:56 pm

This program stinks I wanted free money

34 Roome 04.19.14 at 1:57 pm

This program stinks I wanted free money nowwwwwwww

35 cash paying Surveys 06.03.14 at 2:53 am

Through free online paid surveys, you could complete as many surveys in a
day as you possibly could. doe is not a genuine address, verify other information accordingly too.
Chains with equal size links were used to measure distance between two required points.

36 csr racing hack tool download without survey 06.05.14 at 11:32 pm

It’s a shame you don’t have a donate button! I’d without
a doubt donate to this superb blog! I guess for now
i’ll settle for book-marking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account.
I look forward to fresh updates and will talk about this
site with my Facebook group. Chat soon!

37 money taking surveys 06.07.14 at 6:44 pm

The good thing about doing these surveys is that not much intellectual
power is needed so they don’t have to rack their brains for impressive answers.
The rate could vary depending on your background, expertise, exposure to industries,
and educational credentials. Because of this, it is recommended
that you only agree to such terms with a 90-day risk free trial.

38 harga paket Herbalife murah 06.20.14 at 4:55 am

I have been exploring for a little for any high-quality articles or blog posts in this kind
of area . Exploring in Yahoo I eventually stumbled
upon this web site. Reading this info So i’m happy to express that I have an incredibly
good uncanny feeling I discovered just what I needed.
I so much indisputably will make certain to don?t disregard this
site and provides it a look regularly.

39 dafabet 07.10.14 at 10:48 pm

Greetings from Carolina! I’m bored to tears at work
sso I decided to browse your website on my iphone during lunch break.
I love the knowledge you provide here and
can’t wait to take a look when I get home. I’m amazed at how
quick your blo loaded on my phone .. I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G ..
Anyhow, amazing site!

my webpage :: dafabet

40 Property Marbella 08.01.14 at 2:14 am

A very good advertising trick that might go home in some households, but there is always a dog buried in the background.