How Much Do You Spend On Killing Cockroaches?

by golbguru on October 3, 2006

Cockroach is my #2 enemy (#1 is debt!). However, at times, it is worst than debt for the following reasons (not in any particular order):

1. It appears more frequently (and suddenly) than debt.
2. Makes me loose my sleep more often.
3. Freaks my wife out like there is no tomorrow.
4. They are outright filthy.

Obviously, I take all humanely possible measures to to get rid of roaches. Before I elaborate on this, let me assure you that cleanliness is not my problem :). Also, it particularly bothers me because I have lived in cockroache-free homes before.

OK, now back to the topic. Following is a list of items with their cost that I have purchased over a period of one year to kill cockroaches.
1. Raid (or Raid-like) sprays ($16, each $4)
2. Foggers ($8, each $4)
3. 99% Pure Boric Acid ($1, each $1)
4. 100% Pure Boric Acid ($2, each $1)
5. “Industrial” Strength Spray ($7.50, each $7.50)
6. Roach Baits ($28, each $7)
Total spent : $ 62.5 !!

And now, I am going to present a totally unscientific graph about the “effectiveness” of these items. Interpret this piece of information at your own risk. “Effectiveness” is defined as - the number of days till a live cockroach is seen after the first use of the product.

roach.0 interesting-numbers

Apparently, the cheapest product worked the best for me.:)

So how much do you spend on killing roaches?

Step Into My Time Machine And Read Some Tales Of Yore
01.19.07 at 1:10 pm
25 Things We Do To Save Money
06.18.07 at 6:06 am

1 WH 10.03.06 at 10:39 am

My exterminator sprayed a foam-cum-sealant to cover larger openings for places that might harbor roaches (e.g. around pipes). I don’t remember what it’s called, but you can always call a local/neighborhood exterminator - they usually give great (and FREE) recommendations. And GL with this month’s $10 experiment!
-WH

2 GolbGuru 10.03.06 at 3:13 pm

WH: I started messing with the stuff after my exterminator guys proved ineffective (ABC Pest and Lawn..I think). You are right when mention the “larger openings” ; I am sealing stuff around with caulk..I wonder if we can get the foaming sealant in a retail store.

Thanks for the $10 experiment :)

3 3 Things About Money 10.03.06 at 4:30 pm

This made me laugh out loud — and also a very useful graph. Thanks!

4 TheBusyDad 10.03.06 at 6:28 pm

I still think debt is worse! Great blog — just linked to it from http://www.TheBusyDad.blogspot.com

Cheers…

5 GolbGuru 10.03.06 at 6:38 pm

3 things about money: made myself laugh a bit while writing it :)

thebusydad: debt is THE dark side. I agree with you. Thanks for the link :)

6 JPostal 10.03.06 at 6:52 pm

I’ve never even seen a cockroach before…and I have had some pretty messy room mates! I don’t think they are a problem where I am from.

Jon Postal
beyoungandrich.blogspot.com

7 The Digerati Life 01.20.07 at 10:51 pm

Thanks for bringing this post back to life on your front page! :) I have to pipe in on this one… As a kid, I spent ages scouting roach nests and spraying raid into their holes. It was a fun pastime. But too toxic I think. I went for other methods later. You don’t want to know though…. ;)