Cockroach is my #2 enemy (#1 is debt!). However, at times, it is worst than debt for the following reasons (not in any particular order):
1. It appears more frequently (and suddenly) than debt.
2. Makes me loose my sleep more often.
3. Freaks my wife out like there is no tomorrow.
4. They are outright filthy.
Obviously, I take all humanely possible measures to to get rid of roaches. Before I elaborate on this, let me assure you that cleanliness is not my problem :). Also, it particularly bothers me because I have lived in cockroache-free homes before.
OK, now back to the topic. Following is a list of items with their cost that I have purchased over a period of one year to kill cockroaches.
1. Raid (or Raid-like) sprays ($16, each $4)
2. Foggers ($8, each $4)
3. 99% Pure Boric Acid ($1, each $1)
4. 100% Pure Boric Acid ($2, each $1)
5. “Industrial” Strength Spray ($7.50, each $7.50)
6. Roach Baits ($28, each $7)
Total spent : $ 62.5 !!
And now, I am going to present a totally unscientific graph about the “effectiveness” of these items. Interpret this piece of information at your own risk. “Effectiveness” is defined as - the number of days till a live cockroach is seen after the first use of the product.
Apparently, the cheapest product worked the best for me.:)
So how much do you spend on killing roaches?