Teach Them Young About Money Management

by golbguru on September 23, 2006

I have two distinct memories of my association with the concept of money management very early on; one is playing the game of monopoly with fake money and the other one is having a savings bank account with real money (obviously under adult supervision).

Monopoly was my first exposure to curreny (albeit fake) and its buying power. I spent hours playing the game with kids in my neighborhood, building houses and hotels on all the places I bought with my fake money, and collecting rent and paying some. It taught me that if I dont buy and sell my stations wisely, I will very soon be out of money and out of the game.

My other memory is a savings bank account opened for me at my school. I am not sure exactly what grade I was in, but it was something like 5th grade. Our school had this “Small Savings Bank”, an in-house bank owned and operated by school authorities. Kids were allowed to deposit money, but required a parent to be present when withdrawing money. This small bank was my first introduction to passbook and account keeping. I remember insisting on home-made lunches so that I can put a part of my weekly allowance in the bank.

Coming to the point, I still see the benefits of those money management habits formed early on. I don’t think you need to go head-over-heals to teach money management to kids. All you have to do is make them understand that money is important and simple gestures like getting them a game of monopoly or buying them a small piggy bank or getting them an account in a real bank can go to great lengths in doing just that. I also think it’s a good idea for schools to come up with some money management courses (not graded in the classical sense) in which the kids handle and track a small amount of money for a semester/year …or something similar. Young And Rich says on his blog “We go to school for years to learn how to earn money, but nobody ever teaches us how to spend it or invest it.” and I agree with him. Hopefully someone will soon come up with ideas to answer that.

And as they say, old habits die hard (..but just in case they forget the habits down the line…like I did for some time…hopefully they will stumble on some PFblogs and get the old spark back).

{ 1 trackback }

The Sunday Review #7 » Money, Matter, and More Musings
02.11.07 at 4:01 am

1 Hiren 09.23.06 at 11:14 pm

I am a chartered accountant’s son and an MBA in finace and I endorse your views totally for the simple reason that everybody has to manage money. I would like to recommend two excellent books for the subject- “Rich Dad, Poor Dad” and “The millionaire next door”. It shows how young graduates can plan to be financially independent at a young age. They should also be taught financial admin- in our case the best finandical accounting package Tally in high school or college because many people get fleeced because of their poor accounting knowledge. Accounts is the language of business.

Al this should be a part of the offical school or college curriculum.

2 GolbGuru 09.25.06 at 11:35 am

Hiren: I should be having a copy of “Rich Dad, Poor Dad” pretty soon. Seems like all PFbloggers have already read it :)

3 JPostal 09.25.06 at 6:28 pm

There is an entire Rich Dad, Poor Dad series you can read. I found that a lot of what is written is common sense stuff, but there are nuggets of wisdom to be found. The nice thing about these books is that they are very easy to understand…you don’t need to have a MBA to understand them.
Jon
beyoungandrich.blogspot.com

4 Offshore Banks 08.05.13 at 5:29 pm

?Hey there.
It looks as though we both have a passion for the same thing.
Your blog and mine are very similar. Have
you ever thought of writing a guest write-up for a related blog?
It will surely help gain publicity to your website (my website receives a lot of traffic).
If you happen to be interested, email me.
Thanks

To find more great content visit my internet site on Offshore Banks

5 Danilo -Juegos PC 12.17.13 at 2:22 pm

Exactly man, old habits die hard …